The physical characteristics of the golf course were determined many thousands of years ago. From the second green or when walking up the seventh fairway one can see clear evidence of glacial action which hollowed out the face of the Blorenge Mountain, steepened the sides of the valley and deposited mounds of fertile and free-draining sands and gravels which gave shape and variety to most of the course.
There can be few more attractive Golf Courses. From almost every point there are outstanding views of wooded countryside and surrounding hills. The highest, Mynydd Pen-y-Fal was given the name Sugar Loaf because it resembled cone-shaped blocks of sugar once imported into the country.
To the northeast is the majestic holy mountain Skirrid Fawr, a chapel stood on the summit and in the past a handful of it's soil was placed in coffins or graves. Legend has it that the clefts at each end of the mountain were caused by an earthquake at the time of the crucifixion. They are in fact a result of geological landslips.
Recorded history takes us back to at least the 12th century. The clubhouse stands on or close to the site of Beilu Du mansion once one of the principle houses of the county, here Gwarun Ap Caradwg lived until he was treacherously murdered by William De Braose in Abergavenny Castle, December 1175.
It is believed that the original semi-fortified medieval house was sited to face the Blorenge mountain across a water filled moat.